Do you own a business on Mississippi Ave or nearby? Join the Historic Mississippi Avenue Business Association (HMBA)!
Promote, develop and preserve the North Portland business community as a desirable and vibrant place to work, shop, and live. Join a group of dedicated, motivated, and creative business owners coming together to promote the welfare of the community.
Why join the HMBA?
Marketing and promotion:
- Website: receive exclusive website feature and link on mississippiave.com
- Press coverage and advertising: access to press opportunities and outreach done on the HMBA’s behalf as well as supporting the advertising efforts of the marketing committee
- Social Media: Get featured on Mississippi Ave’s social media accounts
- District map: receive placement on our HMBA Mississippi Ave Walking Map in which 1,000+ copies are distributed throughout the business district, downtown hotels, Portland’s Visitor Information Center, and more
- Opportunities to submit content for the Mississippi Ave blog and social media channels
- FREE booth at Mississippi Ave Street Fair (July 13, 2019)– draws 30-50K customers to Mississippi Ave ($205 value)
- Small Shops, Big Hearts (February) – district event promotes shopping local and giving back
- Mardi Gras Parade — ever growing annual night parade that brings people from around the local community and the city in general
- Ice Cream Social (August): a chance for HMBA businesses to give back and connect to our local community through free ice cream treats handed out by participating business on the street
- October Trick-or-Treat Event (October 31): a fun children-focused street wide event wherein participating business hand out candy to community children
- Holiday Lights (November): our annual holiday event featuring local children’s musician Mr. Ben
Member Networking and Advocacy:
- Member-to-Member Discounts: Being a member of the HMBA gives you discounts at participating businesses. For a full list of participating businesses, see here.
- Business mixers: network with business owners and explore new Mississippi Ave venues
- Keeping you up to date on city matters that impact you and your business, such as PBOTs parking initiatives
- Access to Venture Portland and Travel Portland
Community Giving Initiatives:
- Giving Tuesday: a biannual initiative wherein member business donate 10% of sales on two Tuesdays (one in the spring and one in the fall) to local youth advocacy program BBYUP
- BBYUP: Events like the Mississippi Ave Street Fair benefit the Boise Business Youth Unity Project, which aims to bring local businesses and youth together in a positive way.
- Sponsorship of Movies in the Park, a community event where movies are projected in Unthank park during the summer